The David A. Howe Public Library holds materials to help you in your search for ancestors from our area. We have not listed all possible sources here, but what follows is a list of the most commonly used resources both at our library and elsewhere in Wellsville and Allegany County.
Local history and reference books do not circulate. The following is a selective list of the most often used books.
- Allegany and its People, 1795 –1895. This is an excellent centennial history by John Minard. Name index is available separately.
- Atlas of Allegany County. It was published by Beers in 1869. It shows property owners.
- Bibliography of Ship Passenger Lists 1538 – 1825.
- Business directories for Wellsville and Allegany County list occupations and addresses. Broken files 1900 – 1960.
- DAR Patriot Index and Lineage Books.
- Doty, Lockwood. History of the Genesee Country, 1925 gives history and biographical information.
- French, J.H. Gazetteer of the State of New York, 1861. The names are mostly in the footnotes.
- Guide to Historical Resources in Allegany County New York Repositories. New York Historical Resource Center, 1980. This is a subject index to resources held by libraries and historical societies.
- History of Allegany County. It was published by Beers in 1879. It is arranged by towns. There is a separate index that lists family names.
- Lists of Emigrants to America, 1600 – 1700.
- Original Lists of Persons of Quality Who Went from Great Britain to the American Plantations.
The library staff will do a search (15 minutes) for a specific, limited request for information. For example if you provide the name, month, date and year of a death, the staff will make a photocopy of the obituary. The library charges $5.00 per requested item. Please enclose a SASE.
Email, call us, or stop in to place your request.
Use the STARCat online catalog to search by author, title or subject for books, pamphlets, newspapers and a variety of other materials.
Suggested subject searches include:
- Allegany County
- Newspapers Allegany County
- Use KEYWORD to search for family names.
Other Area Resources
The Historical Society and Dyke Street Museum
118 East Dyke Street, Wellsville, NY 14895
Phone: 585-593-1965 (Mary Rhodes)
Open Wednesdays, 1-4, May – October or by appointment
Operated by Thelma Rogers Genealogical & Historical Society
The Historical Society and the Dyke Street Museum have files, books, cemetery records and other information useful to help with searches. Readers may submit names for searches to the newsletter.
Local Clerks’ Offices
156 N. Main St., Wellsville, NY 14895
Town of Wellsville
Village of Wellsville
Birth, marriage and death records are available. Office staff do the searches and charge fees.
County Historian, Craig Braack
Court Street, Belmont, NY 14813.
Records are open to the public. A partial list of holdings include: county histories, census records, newspapers on microfilm, centennial books on Allegany County towns, marriage records after 1885, cemetery records and Civil War information.
Allegany County Historical Society
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 252, Andover NY 14806
Genealogy Research Center and Museum in the Allegany County Historical Center at 11 East Greenwood St., Andover, NY 14806
The historical society has historical and genealogical artifacts, manuscripts,and information relating to Allegany County communities and residents. Its volunteers assist with genealogy questions and staff the research center and offices.
Summer Hours (Memorial Day through Labor Day) – Wed. through Sat., 10am to 3pm, daily
The rest of the year – Wed. and Sat. only – 10am to 3pm
The Jean B. Lang Western New York Historical Collection includes historical and genealogical information with an emphasis on Allegany County and some information on Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Monroe, and Steuben counties. This collection, formerly housed at the Alfred State College Library, is now part of the Society collections at the Allegany County Historical Center.
Access NYS Ancestry.com records Several New York repositories have formed a partnership with Ancestry.com to digitize family history records and make them available on line for free.
List of other genealogy resources at Veritas Prep
Normally, a site with college admissions resources, but includes and article with links to many genealogy sites.
New York Genealogy – Ancestry Research & Family History
Links to many New York State county records.
Lists to other genealogy resources at Home Advisor
A list of links to genealogy sites.