For a printable copy, click here.
Before you check out titles, you may need to do a one-time download of eReader software in order to store, listen to, and transfer your eBooks to an eBook reader for your device. You will need a library card ID (barcode number on your library card) and your PIN (for your PIN, please email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Software Choices
- The new Libby App for Android or iOS. (Recommended unless you have a Kindle)
- The OverDrive App is available for Android, iOS, Chromebook, Kindle Fire, and Windows devices.
- The Kindle App is available for Windows, iOS, and other devices.
- Use a browser at stls.overdrive.com
- Use Adobe Digital Editions to read from or to transfer books to some devices.
- Find an app at:
- iOS – Apple App Store
- Android devices – Google Play
- Kindle – Amazon Appstore
- Chromebook – Chrome Web Store
- On your device, install your eBook reader software. For help for your device:
- Go to the STLS Digital Catalog website at https://stls.overdrive.com
- Click on Help.
- Click on Getting Started.
Search the catalog
- Browse the catalog to find books or search by title, author, or keyword.
- At the top of the listing, items that are ready to check out will show Available and items that are checked out will show Wait List.
- Check to see if it is an eBook or Audiobook.
- Use an Advanced Search to limit by
~ format – ePub or Kindle eBooks
~ subject, publisher, or release date
~ available titles
Borrow an eBook
Borrowing is similar in both Libby and Overdrive. You may borrow up to five titles at one time. See the below for Borrowing to a Kindle.
- Find an available book and Click the Borrow link.
- If asked, Choose the Southern Tier Library System.
- Enter your library card number and PIN ( for your PIN, please email the library at email@example.com ). If you are unable to sign in to your account, contact the library for more information. You may also sign in with an OverDrive account or Facebook account.
- Click Shelf or the Library icon. –
- Choose a format (EPUB eBook or Kindle) to enable the download.
- An EPUB eBook can be opened with Libby, Adobe Digital Editions, or the OverDrive App.
- Kindle books must use an Amazon account and select Kindle when borrowing.
Place a hold
If a title is presently checked out, click on the “Place a hold” link. When the title becomes available, you will receive an email. It will be available for you to check out within three days.
Read your eBook
- Open and sign in to the Libby app or go to Libbyapp.com (in a browser) and go to Shelf.
- Click on Open Book to download.
- Click on Open Book to read.
With the Overdrive App or Overdrive in a browser
- Open the Overdrive App or https://stls.overdrive.com/
- Sign in to the Southern Tier Library System.
- Open the Library icon. –
- Download the EPUB eBook (authorize the app to read, if needed) or Read now in a browser.
- If downloaded, you may need to it open with Adobe Digital Editions.
Using Adobe Digital Editions
- Open Adobe Digital Editions.
- Sign in to your account with an Adobe ID and go to your Bookshelf.
- Double click on the title. The eBook will open where you left off.
- Click the arrows at the bottom of the screen to “turn the page.”
Read in a Browser
- In your browser, go to https://stls.overdrive.com/ and sign in to your account.
- Go to the drop down menu at “My account” and click Loans.
- In the eBook you want to read, Click “Read now in browser”.
- You can return a book here if you are finished reading it.
Borrow a Kindle Book (An Amazon account is needed)
- From stls.overdrive.com, find an available book and Click the Borrow link.
- Click the Borrow link on the window that opens showing Borrow for (7 to 21 days).
- Click on “Read now with Kindle”. This will automatically open the Amazon website.
- You will need to log in to your Amazon account, if needed.
- In the upper right area, Click on the “Get Library Book” button. (Below this button it should show Kindle device you want the eBook to download to.
- Check your Kindle app and find the eBook to begin reading.
Transfer from your computer to your non-wireless eBook reader
- Connect your eBook reader to your computer with its USB cable.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions.
- Click on the eBook title.
- Drag and drop it to your reader name in the left panel to transfer.
- Disconnect your eBook reader and you’re ready to read.